The Student News Site of University of Texas at Arlington (Department of Communication)

Lone Star Sentinel

Lone Star Sentinel

Lone Star Sentinel

Women’s hoops grows in popularity

Blend of athleticism and teamwork boosts viewership
Kali Haizlip
One of the baskets at the University of Texas at Arlington’s College Park Center. The transfer portal window for collegiate basketball players is now open and will remain an option for student-athletes through May 1.

ARLINGTON, Texas–Excitement is building as March Madness is set to begin.

In the world of college basketball, spring is an exciting time as athletes begin head to conference playoffs and play for an invitation to the most elite tournament in college basketball—the NCAA Tournament, better known as March Madness.

Historically, only the men’s side of the NCAA Tournament was branded as March Madness, but after a gender equality review in 2021, the branding was extended to women’s basketball. Viewership boomed.

ESPN reported that the 2022-2023 NCAA Women’s Basketball championship game, Iowa vs. LSU, had a record-breaking 9.9 million people watching. The women’s game is growing, and other women’s sports players and coaches are recognizing it, too.

Teamwork

With the women’s game growing exponentially, people are continuing to compare women’s basketball and men’s basketball. University of Texas at Arlington women’s volleyball Assistant Coach Emily Dewalt, a respected voice in athletic circles, said she appreciates the nuanced differences between the men’s and women’s game.

“People love to watch men’s basketball because they just think they’re so athletic and they jump up and they dunk the ball, and they do all those things,” Dewalt said. “I think one of my favorite things about women’s basketball is how it’s thought out a little bit more methodically and you have to work together a little bit more to execute the plays.”

The Game Has Changed

Some fans have the idea that women’s basketball is boring and sluggish. Others say they believe that women lack exciting skills and athleticism.  UTA Women’s Volleyball Head Coach J.T Wenger reflected on the sport’s historical portrayal of technicality rather than athleticism but also the shift he’s witnessed over the years.

“I think the game has changed a lot,” Wenger said. “Yes, a lot of female athletes are very technical in how they play, but there’s also a brand of athleticism that’s on display that has really changed a lot in the last 10-15 years.”

Emergence of superstars

Over the last decade, a noticeable shift occurred. Skill and athleticism are redefining the women’s game. Women’s basketball possesses a great deal of technical finesse, but when coupled with a heightened level of athleticism, the game is growing on the strength of a new generation of women’s basketball phenoms.

“Caitlyn Clark, Paige Bueckers, Angel Reese,” UTA women’s volleyball Assistant Coach Lacey Jeffcoat said, naming a few women’s basketball phenoms off the top of her head.

These are female athletes who have revolutionized the game with their elite skill level and athleticism.

Caitlyn Clark on March 3 broke the NCAA scoring record held for 54 years by “Pistol” Pete Maravich. Clark heads into March Madness with 3,771 points. Maravich finished his illustrious NCAA career with 3,667 points.

Clark’s accomplishment alone speaks volumes for the increased entertainment value in women’s basketball, but she’s not alone. Angel Reese led Louisiana State University to an NCAA Tournament Championship in 2023 after leading the NCAA in double-doubles. Paige Bueckers’ high school stardom carried into her college career at the University of Connecticut while she led her team to an NCAA Championship game appearance before injury.

View Comments (3)
Donate to Lone Star Sentinel

Your donation will support the student journalists of University of Texas at Arlington (Department of Communication). Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.