The Student News Site of University of Texas at Arlington (Department of Communication)

Lone Star Sentinel

Lone Star Sentinel

Lone Star Sentinel

Where’s George currency tracker allows users to see how far a dollar can travel

Arlington accounts for one quarter of Where’s George’s nearly 300,000 hits within Tarrant County, Texas
Sara Ross
Photo of a stamped Where’s George bill. Blocking out part of the serial number is a standard Where’s George practice to keep someone from logging a bill based on a picture.

ARLINGTON, Texas—“Where’s George” is a currency tracking project that was created to show people how far and how quickly a single dollar bill can travel.

On the Where’s George website, anyone can input their location and the serial number of a dollar bill in their possession. Once a user has registered the serial number on the website, they write or stamp some kind of message on the bill itself (“Track me at wheresgeorge.com”) so people who get the bill after them will go online to log its new location.

After it is first registered, any subsequent time the bill is logged online is a “hit.” This graph shows the five counties in Texas with the most hits.

Data visualization shows the Texas counties with the most Where’s George hits. Arlington accounts for nearly 25% of Where’s George hits in Tarrant County.